9.19.2006

Sad, sad toaster

R* and I are a little bit sad about our toaster.

My mom and dad gave it to us for Christmas and by February it was already busted. The bread won't spring up any more. If you wiggle and jiggle the handle just right, it might come up. I usually end up breaking a rule that most hold almost as sacred as not tearing the tags about poly-fiber-fill off their pillows, and stick a knife into a toaster and pull out the toast. (We usually remember to unplug it first). It's kind of like Operation.

Our new dishwasher was next to break, followed by the microwave. The silver lining: Since Sears missed their appointment to fix the microwave three times, they sent us a gift card for $75. Kinda cool.

The toaster market is be crowded at the low and high price points, full of throw-aways that cost $20-ish and $289.98 behemoths by Dualit and KitchenAid. This Cusinart toaster seems like an okay mid-price option, but I think its fake-retro style is ugly.

$30o for a toaster is crazy, right? And then you get to buy it a cage like it's a poodle. Plus we keep the toaster in the pantry and the rich toasters are too heavy to carry back and forth from pantry to counter.

Even with these appliance woes, we're not nearly as sad as this see-through toaster. Can you listen to this song while you browse Sears.com to give us toaster buying advice? Stainless steel, two slice would be cool, and let's avoid Kennmore brand. This is my choice. Do you agree?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a two slice version of the cuisinart toaster. I don't mind it. But if it was broken I would have no hesitation about buying a cute pylones toaster instead, Unfortunately they probably aren't sold at sears.

11:13 PM  
Blogger mkpmtsw said...

iThe song is hilarious, but the link for the final selection from sears.com did not work. The suspense is killing me, or maybe that's just the boredom killing me.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

reattempt at correct link

11:15 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Redshoz, thanks for the heads up. Just like Sears to go out of stock on me just when they have an item I might buy, albeit with their free gift card. Search around for a $75ish toaster on Sears.com and let us know what you think, yeah?

12:13 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Sam, thanks for pointing out the Pylones toasters. I saw them in a window once and wondered what R* would think about them. I don't think Sears sells them tho. I'm determined to get something from that gift card.

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what did you think of the Kitchenaid? too plastic? the idea of 9 darkness settings really appeals to me, although i'm not sure why...

i don't love the giant logo on the side of the Dualit (sorry, i'm a design geek, and i don't like the idea of my appliances advertising to me in my own home), but i guess that doesn't matter if you keep it in the pantry anyway. the handle looks great - sturdy and mechanical.

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While toasters are great, I prefer a toaster oven. I had a Dualit 2 slice toaster and while it was quite nice and made great toast, I missed having the oven function.
It's too much trouble to empty the contents of my regular huge oven just to heat up a slice of pizza, a few snacks, or bake just a few cookies.
I know, "What about the microwave?", The microwave is fine for it's quickness, however, it lacks in its ability to crisp! That's where the toaster oven is a savior!

I have an Oster 6 slice toaster/convection oven http://www.oster.com/productdetail.aspx?id=230&cat=57, and I love it. If you have the counter space, a toaster oven is the way to go.

12:25 PM  
Blogger laura dot said...

I have a cuisinart toaster that doesn't look so lame. It was a gift from my brother, whose part time job was working in the small appliance store.

My parents have a similar one (but with 4 slices), and have had it for over 5 years. So I think the cuisinart brand does make a reliable toaster.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Tiny Banquet Committee said...

Haha, the song is great!
This is a difficult issue, isn't it? I have to agree with Andrea that toaster ovens are the way to go if you have the space for one - I don't right now but I've had them in the past and they are so much more versatile than toasters. Also you can easily see whether your toast is done or not.
I also have to add that this T-Fal is one of the ugliest toasters I've ever seen:
ugly!

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home