9.18.2006

A Cortland apple for my teacher


Today is my dad's birthday. Today's also my first day writing as the New York City co-editor for Apartment Therapy: The Kitchen. At first, the two events seem unrelated, but they aren't. Not really.

My first post as NYC co-editor on Apartment Therapy: The Kitchen is about New York State apples, many of which are grown near Cortland, NY where both my mom and dad grew up. There's even an apple named after little Cortland. (It bugs me that many Manhattan retailers lable them "Courtland" apples.)

My dad teaches me about patience and persistance. These values are easy to forget in the topsy-turvy world of Internet marketing in Manahttan. Dad continues to hang in there with his tough career and has taught me to do the same. I graduated from college with an English degree wondering if I'd ever have a shot at being a professional writer of some stripe: today's the day!

Dad is there to rescue me from so many jams. He's rushed money for lunch or a forgotten field trip to my elementary school and begged the cleaners to stay open for a few more minutes so he could pick up the white band uniform pants and race them to the stadium before my fieldshow performance. In college, he took me to the bank to sign my first loan agreement, so that I could buy myself a computer and get connected to the Internet.

After graduation, Dad was quick to start tracking the stocks of the Web marketing start-up I worked for and all our competitors. Dad could also give R* some competition as far as the person who appreciates my cooking the most. I love going home to Bethlehem, Pa. to grill with him and catching him peeks into the pots and taking a slurp hours before dinner's served.

I think dad likes banannas -- the number one seller in the produce aisle -- over apples, but I still want to wish him a Happy Birthday! And thank dad and mom, my grandmother, my brothers BC and MK, R*, my friends and everyone else for their help.

I will be posting daily (M-F) on AT: K. Posting on the ElectricStove will slow down a bit, but I still plan to post here too.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new gig!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Amy Sherman said...

Congratulations! This is really great news.

3:44 PM  
Blogger mkpmtsw said...

Thanks for the shout out

A.K.A. "Brother MP"

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Brother MP said, thanks for the shout out. I hope dad reads this, too.

Brother BP

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home