4.17.2006

Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing





Carrot Cake is my brother B's favorite and Wegmans makes a great one. This Easter, I decided to try to make my own, instead. I used this Everyday Food recipe. I like the baking recipes from Everyday Food because they are straight forward and don't require too much precision. My other brother M and I had fun making these and taking photos every step of the way.

I lost the bag of coconut somehow, but we went ahead and baked these without it. I think they came out okay. They seemed a bit eggy, where they might have been more cake-like. Also, since the only spice in them is allspice, their flavor is a bit one note. Some pineapple chunks or cinnamon or ginger might make these more exciting.

While we were baking M said he never knows how much batter to put in the cupcake papers to make the cupcakes look pretty. I agreed. I think I underfilled the cups this time. I should have baked one test cupcake first and then filled the rest of the cups according to my findings, but instead I just filled up the rest of the cups with extra cream cheese icing.

The icing -- just cream cheese mixed with powdered sugar with some vanilla -- was delicious.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You figured out how to post more than one picture at a time! Yay for the pictures that I took. I'm honored to be mentioned . . . I sound smart talking about determining the correct amount of batter to use. The cream potatoes didn't make the cut, huh? Or the artichokes? . . . they're so trendy. The new mixer looks sexy too.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my feeling on cupcakes is that, if you underfill the cups, well, you just have to make up that volume in icing!

looks like the easter bunny was awful nice to you! enjoy your new mixer chris!

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris- great blog. I love carrot cake, especially with cream cheese frosting. I dont get a chance to bake anymore but I wanted to thank you for the Wegman's tip. There is one near me.

-Alexis

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris. Thanks for making my favorite dessert for Easter. It's fun reading about what you've been cooking. It makes me hungry!

B

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home