2.12.2007

Ask NYC restaurants to support The Tap Project


Over 21% of children living in the developing world
do not have access to clean water.
That’s more than one billion people, or one in five children.

I do not usually talk about my work life here, but I'm working on a fun, important new project at work. I think it should be especially interesting to cooks and food bloggers, so I wanted to share.

I'm the online marketing manager at the U.S. Fund for UNICEF in June. At work I'm exposed to the great need of children around the world every day.

I also see the great opportunity, the potential to change these horrible statistics. While a billion children around the world don't have access to clean water today, it just doesn't have to be that way forever. We can make a difference and the dollars donated to organizations like UNICEF have a direct impact.

I'm working on a new program here at UNICEF and I wanted to make sure I shared this with my food blog contacts too. It's called The Tap Project.

On March 22, participating restaurants in New York City will ask diners to pay $1 for the same tap water they normally serve for free. The funds collected will support UNICEF water programs, which provide safe drinking water for children around the world.

Here's how you can help:
If you're in NYC, you can help by asking restaurants to participate in this program. I've reached out to a couple of my favorite places and I've asked them to participate. I hope you'll do that too.

Also, mark your calender for 3/22/06 -- World Water Day. Check the Tap Project site and dine at a Tap Project restaurant that night. That night, please thank the restaurant for supporting UNICEF's work.

If you're aren't in NYC, you can support this program by making a donation or volunteering for UNICEF. Also, the program will be national next year, so sign up now for more information.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have a list of participating restaurants yet?

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think restaurants should only serve (tap) water when people request it--for free. So many places automatically give you water you may not use!

That said, this one-time charging for water is a good thing.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous John Wilson said...

Yeah!! tap project with electric water cooler.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home