3.01.2006

Green Eggs and Kale


Kale doesn't immediately come to mind as a breakfast food, but try this -- you might like it as much as I did.

Loosely following a recipe for Boiled Kale in the Zuni Cookbook, I removed the thickest parts of the stems from my kale and cut them into ribbon pieces. I cooked it down for about 15 minutes in a saucepan and then I added a couple of roughly chopped waxy skin potatoes. Once the vegetables were almost done, I transferred them to this saute pan.

Continuing to cook, I made little pockets in the kale and potatoes and dropped in some eggs. As the eggs cooked, I spooned some of the broth on top of the eggs so that I was sure the tops would cook as well. (Somewhere along the line, I added some onion or garlic. I have to learn to write these things down!)

What you end up with is a delicious, sloppy slurpy mess. Seems just right for laid back winter breakfast to me. I served this is latte bowl, careful to make a bed of broth, kale and potatoes in the bowl, topped with the egg. I added some bacon on the top for crunch and color. It would be great with some good bread to soak up the broth.

Anyone else have a kale for breakfast recipe? I dare you.

Mollie Katzen on Kale, "a superstar"

Book of Joe on another way to poach eggs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home